Thursday 16 August 2018

Johnson Yap

- Malaysian child star of the Bionic Boy series (1976-78)

- Currently [as of August 2018] works in Malaysia as a bank manager

From my upcoming book on Bobby A. Suarez: Bobby secured the services of Leody M. Diaz, prolific local director of primarily Tagalog Ilang-Ilang productions, Tony Ferrer and Agent X-44 films as well as the criminally long-lost Batman Fights Dracula (1967), to direct The Bionic Boy, commencing around October 1976. The lead role of Johnson "Sonny" Lee went to a junior Singaporean blackbelter, only eight or nine years old at the time, named Johnson Yap. “I was reading a magazine when I was in Hong Kong,” remembered Bobby, “and I saw this young boy. So I call up Sunny Lim and get him to call the boy because I would like to meet him. Sunny Lim calls up the father of the boy, and we met. I asked the boy, 'Do you want to be an actor?' He says, 'Yes, sir. When can I start?' I said, 'Next week, instead of going to school.' So one week I trained him, and the next week he’s making the movie.”


- MUCH more info to come!

 

As Johnson "Sonny" Lee in The Bionic Boy (dir. Leody M. Diaz, 1977), produced by Bobby A. Suarez


As Johnson "Sonny" Lee, the Bionic Boy, in Dynamite Johnson (dir. Bobby A. Suarez, 1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment